Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Reframing!

Hello friends and family~
Well we have had an INTERESTING week here in CT.  A large amount of the state remains without power after an unheard of Nor'easter that hit us Saturday night.  It was unreal.  In Colchester we received about 7 inches of snow...which is melting fast.  The larger issue for many is the lack of electricity.  Most of my family remains in the half dark, thanks only to generators.  And it's cold.  COLD!  We are incredibly thankful that we did not lose power and have been able to house my mom, dad and brother...separately.  Utility companies are estimating that most of the state should have power by Sunday...but I honestly don't see how that can happen.  We'll see!
Things at Casa Carr have been rough.  Isaiah has had a tough adjustment to Kindergarten and the combination of having to surrender power to teachers and have social situations with peers has really been difficult for him.  Add to that mix the fact that his therapist is really working on the trauma he endured with his birth mom and is no longer allowing him to believe that she was "THE BEST MOMMY".  He's struggling.  And so are we.  Gabe and I have been rather isolated in recent days and weeks feeling very overwhelmed and frustrated.  So, we finally made the move to push our Insurance company to cover treatment at the Attachment Institute in Worcester, MA.  After a tearful phone call to our Insurance company along with the Institute calling, we are very optimistic that they will approve coverage for treatment.  If so, we will go for 2 weeks straight every day.  As soon as possible.  It has put a little pep back in our step and renewed a glimmer of hope.  The fact that we have already tried other therapists has helped...and our current family therapist actually told us that she is at a crossroads with Isaiah and completely supports our moving to more intensive therapy for him and us.  Thank Goodness!
Finally, onto the subject line of this post...reframing.  Last night I went to a work shop on Vision Boards.  It wasn't great.  The lady was basically there to promote her services but it got me thinking.  I am constantly asking myself WHY we are in this situation.  What are we supposed to get out of this, learn from this?  It makes my brain HURT!  Then this morning something hit me as I was having a conversation with myself...which I often do.  I said, "wait a minute...what if this is not about what I gain from this experience...what if it is about all that I have gained from past experiences allowing me to do the best I can for this kid."  Maybe it's about actually looking back a bit to see that if we hadn't gone through everything we have, as individuals and as a couple, we wouldn't be able to help our son.  Maybe?  I'd say that's one hell of a reframe...but for today, I will hold onto it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there kiddo..you know I'm here for you guys as often as possible...I really enjoyed Sunday with Isaiah..he's testing rather constantly but we had fun learning " proper social interactions"....he is a sweetie when he wants to be..grammy Barbie

Followers