Hello again!
I have changed up the blog with the hopes that I will get back to writing on it and keeping people more up to speed. I know, it has been a while.
Many things have happened in the few months since I've written:
We went on a family vacation to Cape Cod
Isaiah turned 5!
We endured a Hurricane...which delayed the start of Kindergarten by nearly a week.
Isaiah started Kindergarten!!!
That last item has been pretty huge here. Of course, it is huge for every family I am sure. Isaiah was eager to start Kindergarten after a great summer at a new program that he loved. He really had a fabulous summer...even if he might not admit it! When the start of school got delayed, things went a little nutty here. Isaiah's anxiety really elevated and we all lost it for a few days.
On Friday Sept 2 we all went to CES for the meet and greet. We all got to meet Isaiah's teacher, Mrs. Tanner, and check out the classroom. The PTO had an ice cream social, so how could we go wrong? Isaiah loved that part, of course. He seemed pretty excited to start the following Tuesday.
That day, a parent had to attend with their child and the session was only 45 minutes. It was really very cute. The kids got their lockers and learned some of the classroom rules. The teacher read a story, The Kissing Hand. And that's when mommy lost it a bit. I sat there watching this little boy try his hardest but clearly anxious in his new setting. He sat and listened to the story while I thought "the rest of you parents have no idea what this little guy has been through". I know all kids have their struggles, but every once in a while when I stop and think about it, I get overwhelmed with sadness and fear for the Dude. Most parents don't know his background and the ones that do find Isaiah to be extra awesome. We just try to get through each day, one at a time.
As I write this Isaiah is asleep...been asleep since 6pm. Because Kindergarten is HARD! He loved his first week and is finally settling down a bit. Let's hope we all do.
This weekend we are heading to a local fair and having a neighborhood block party. Should be fun!!
1 comment:
Have you told his teacher's about your concerns re: his past? Has he ever been tested in the school system for special services? Do you think he will need special services in order to transition into school successfully?
But, you guys are already doing the best thing by encouraging him and attending the prior meet-n-greets before the first day of school. Everyone has anxiety of going to a new school year, but it helps if students can meet their actual teachers and see the classrooms, lockers, PE class, music, etc. It alleviates some of the anxiety everyone faces, but the majority of classmates don't consider it as a major anxiety.
I also had goog luck with meeting up with each school teacher that he will come into contact with throughout the year; inlcuding the office staff, spec. ed staff, nurse, cafeteria staff, PE staff, art staff, music staff, etc.
My students benefited from having a safety plan if they feel anxious and need to leave any classroom. I used "green, laminated cards" that when shown meant a break outside of the classroom was needed. STudent and teacher each had the green card and could play it as needed.
Granted, these suggestions may be wothless to you guys since I don't know Isaiah or what he's been through, but these general suggestions won't hurt anyone. If you want, We'll talk more about what may be more beneficial for Isaiah.
Post a Comment