Friday, September 4, 2009

This is a WEIRD experience!


As I write tonight we are on our 7th night. Last night was interesting. I was up a total of 3 times at various hours. Once at 11:30 when Isaiah fell out of bed. Once at 4am when JP had diarrhea and again with JP at 5am. Each time I woke up I felt horrible. Like I was hungover, but wasn't. This morning when I woke up I still felt badly but rested a bit while Gabe fed the wee one. I am feeling better now and think it was just the disrupted night.
Today, Isaiah spent most of the day outside, since it was beautiful again in CT. He is really mastering his bike now, even making turns. He played baseball and golf and of course the sidewalk chalk.
Today we were anticipating his visit with his mom all day. I think that is why my stomach was sick most of the day. We just didn't know WHAT to expect. Isaiah took a nap and then got ready to see his mom. He was very excited to see her. As we drove there, Gabe and I were on pins and needles. When we arrived she was not there yet so we left Isaiah playing with the social worker and jetted. We figured it would be a smoother meet and greet at the end of their visit. Gabe and I went down the road to Target for some shopping. Nice and therapeutic. As we finished our shopping, I got the weirdest feeling in my stomach. I stopped into the ladies room and just talked to myself and said, this experience is so WEIRD. Like, we are now going to pick up this little boy from visiting his mother and take him back home with us. And we will be friendly to her, but then take her son. WEIRD. Nauseatingly weird.
When we got there I held back my vomit and was pleasantly surprised. Mom was very friendly and instantly commented on how much better Isaiah looks since last week when she saw him and he was at the foster home. She said his speech was better and he looked happier and cleaner and she thanked us. We chatted a bit and she asked a few things about him and his transition.
We started a communication log to go back and forth and in it I placed a pouch for pictures we take of him. We will copy the great ones and give her them too. Well today she got a copy of Isaiah riding his bike yesterday and she wept. She was so happy to see it and so thankful for us sharing it with her. She asked, "is this for me??" Absolutely.
Unfortunately it became clear where Isaiah gets his food issues from when she told us she brought him donuts and chocolate milk and he ate something like 4 donuts. I believe her quote was "I may have ruined his dinner tonight". She was right, he didn't eat a thing for dinner.
BUT that is not for us to address, the worker will address that and I will now know not to give him chocolate milk on Fridays because she will!
In the past, Isaiah has cried after every visit with mom when he had to leave. Today she walked him to our car, helped him get into the seat and thanked us again! No tears.
See, it is weird. Surreal. Unique. Difficult.
He was quiet for about 20 minutes in the car ride then he got back to his chatty self again...only amplified X4...for each donut. He was very energetic tonight and helped me put away some things we got at Target. We also put together a collage frame of the pictures his mom sent to hang in his room. He loved that project.
So, we are now winding down and reflecting on the day. Anticipation can be a devilish thing, both good and bad. It certainly played tricks on my body over the past 12 hours.
Tomorrow..I have no idea what we are going to do...perhaps I just shouldn't anticipate anything.

Until then...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

..just read all your messages ...you know I don't do the computer much...I can't wait to spend some time with you all tomorrow....and you can't be analyzing me while I play with Isaiah either Bev!!!

Followers